Wednesday, January 18

Say no to HB 2661 (2)

This morning I sent email messages to three representative in WA to express my opposition to the bill. So far I have received responses from two of those representatives. Their responses are as follows:

  1. Response from Representative Larry Springer:
    Dear Daniel,

    Thank you for contacting me about HB 1515, now known as HB 2661.

    I voted in favor of this bill in 2005 and intend to vote in favor of HB
    2661 for one very simple reason. I do not believe we should allow discrimination against people for their sexual orientation as well as for all the other conditions already singled out in state law.

    This bill does not create special rights, does not allow preferential treatment, has no affect on marriage laws and it clearly does not endorse any particular lifestyle.

    Currently in this state it is perfectly legal to discriminate against people in employment, housing, healthcare, and other areas because of their real or perceived sexual preference. In fact, there is data to suggest the instance of discrimination against such individuals is on the rise. There was even a blatant example of such discrimination which occurred in the state Capitol during last session by a representative of housing landlords.

    This bill does not restrict free speech or religious beliefs and never has. This bill values families by ensuring that no daughter or son will be denied a home loan or fired from a job simply because of their sexual identity. I believe there is no one set of family values to which all Americans must subscribe. My family values include freedom from discrimination for all, a value shared by thousands of families in the 45th Legislative District including many who have contacted me about this issue.

    A growing number of churches and church leaders are coming forward to say that

    I believe we build a stronger community, state, and nation when we instill in our children tolerance for differences and the value of non-discrimination.

    Equality for all people has always been and always will be a core value for me as it was for the founders of our great nation.

    I'm sorry you and I don't agree, but rest assured I will always make legislative decisions which I believe to be in the best interests of the 45th District and the State of Washington.

    Thanks again, and please feel free to contact me anytime.

    Sincerely,


    Larry Springer
  2. Response from Representative Tony Nixon:
    Thanks for your email. I oppose HB 2661 and plan to vote against it.

    Best regards,

    -- Toby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home