Saturday, March 19

Vienna Choir Boys

There was no fellowship this Friday. A few of us in CCF went to the Vienna Choir Boys' performance. I hadn't been to such kind of events. All I knew before I went there was that they were supposed to be the world's top choir.

To my surprise the venue was not full, in spite of their fame. The boys, uniformed like sailors, entered the stage from both sides. My guess was that they were between seven and fourteen. Then a tuxedoed man, leader of the choir and their pianist, came to the center. They deeply bowed to the audience and began the night of event.

The first thing that amazed me was the pianist. He brought with him no sheets and yet he replayed more than thirty songs, without a missing beat. At the same time, he was able to signal the boys with his body and head movement as he played and sometimes he did so with an idle hand! He was confident and his performance was lively. I coulnd't exclude the possibility, for my lack of exposure to these, that all pianist on the stage were this good. There was no doubt that he deeply impressed me.

The boys were nothing short of excellence. Their voices beautifully intertwined among themselves. I tried hard to measure accuracy of their timing. While unsure, I found no audible mistakes (well, again I might not be good enough)! Their professionalism at such a young age was an eye-opener to me. They stood on the stage and stayed unmoved unless needed. Not even their shoulders were raised. A few of the twenty-six who had a cold or flu tried really hard to suppress their coughs or at least the disruptive noises. Their range of voice was wide. The younger ones of them could reach very high notes without difficulty. Their pronounciations were very good, given they didn't understand many of the languages they sang in. I was delighted to find them singing a few English songs as a homage to their fans. And there were songs that so many words were jammed into them. But that wasn't a matter to these well-practiced little singing machines. Their occasional moves and clapping added to the effect of their singing. And they also sang one song with no music. Fabulous! Whenever not distracted by the noise coming from behind, I closed my eyes and enjoyed their beautiful voices. Then I understood why they were the world's top choir.

At the end of the performance, the choir submitted to audience's non-stop clapping and sang four extra times! What more can I say about their professionalism?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home